Saturday, October 17, 2009

Libertarian issue makes lasting impression

During our walk with Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn on Saturday, October 17, 2009, a woman saw our sign ("Brooklyn Libertarian Party") and told me that a while back she had heard a libertarian speak at some church nearby and was very impressed with his ideas. I asked if it was I, and whether the event was the four-way debate held during my run for Brooklyn Borough President in 2005. She didn't remember. It was "a while" back.

In the walk also was a sign, "We need more parks." I said, "It's easy to get a park. Form a consortium with other like-minded people, buy some land, and build a park. There are many ways to support a park. The Central Park Conservancy does it. The Prospect Park Alliance does it. You don't have to talk about it for 25 years and beg the government [a reference to Brooklyn Bridge Park]."

The woman said, "It was you!" for I had made the very same point in the debate four years ago, when Brooklyn Bridge Park had been talked about for only 21 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment